This is the most famous gorge of the island, which like all parts of Samothrace, is shrouded in legends, traditions and folk tales, about murders, drownings, monsters that come out at midnight scaring campers and other chilling stories, hence its name.
In fact, the view of the gorge is anything but scary. For activity lovers it is one of the most beautiful hiking trails, and of course the gorge of ‘Fonias’ is ideal for Canyoning (for all levels of participants), water games, slides and endless jumps in its cool and beautiful basins. The part of the Gorge that we will descend has 8 beautiful waterfalls with the largest at the end, 25 meters high
Our route starts from the parking lot on the main road with gentle and beautiful trekking by the river bed, and along a forest of plane trees and koukoudia trees. In its first, 1700 m long section up to the first basin, the route is very easy with a very small elevation.
Starting from 70€
ICOPro Gear List Provided/Services included:
• Helmet according to mountaineering standards
• Full Neoprene Wetsuit 5 mm
• Neopren foot protectors
• Canyon harness with 1 Locking Carabiner & 1 Canyoning descender, 2 dynamic Cow’s tails
• Canyoning Backpack
• Dry Keg
• ICOpro Canyoneer initiation Training course
• ICOpro Card and affiliation member
• CE PPE standard equipment only
• FREE PHOTOS!
Personal Gear List:
- Hiking Pants/Hiking shorts, quick-dry, lightweight
- Water bottle 1L and snack
- Personal towel
- 2 pair hiking shoes (extra, dry)
Contact: Stamatis Kousvelaris
Mobile: +30 6972 666 428
Samothrace ICOPRO Training Center